Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Firing Billy King isn't the answer ... but its a start

There's an old joked that goes something like .... What do you call a 100 lawyers chained together at the bottom of the ocean ... answer .... I good start!

So it was natural for all my friends to contact me this AM to find out what I thought about the announcement that Billy King had been fired. What's that I said ... I thought that happened 3 years ago. You mean there has been someone in charge all this time?

A better question to ask is "Why now". If this is a ploy to distract fans from the uninspired performance the Sixers gave last nite against the Hawks it worked. But what do you do for an encore? The Charmain signed off on Billy's 3 year plan (maybe that was a 4 year plan). There's not much a new GM can do at this point in the season. No one's gonna barter with a pauper. The Sixers don't have much that other teams value. It doesn't matter if you do or don't like Ed Stefanski as a GM.

There is some speculation on the wire that it's a knee jerk reaction to the hollow attendance at the Wac center and/or Comcast viewers. If that's the case you can't pin it all on Billy. Okay ... the product on the floor is all him. But I'd be willing to bet the November receipts for basketball isn't all that great in Philly anyway. A new GM ain't gonna but fannies in the seats. Unless that GM is Pamela Anderson or someone with even bigger TaTas.

My theory is Snider dumped Billy now, because Ed Stefansky is available now and he may not be later. Anyway I don't hate Billy King. I got over that 3 years ago. Good luck to 'em.

No comments: