Thursday, April 06, 2006

Why fighting for berth in playoffs still matters


| David Aldridge | Why fighting for berth in playoffs still matters - David has jogged my memory as to why I still like to see the 76ers win. Why I have had this sick feeling in my belly the last two days as the Sixers get absolutely trashed by the Cavs and out-run by the Bulls. I could not watch after the Cavs 2nd period surge. I could not peek at the Bulls game, least I be disappointed. Why does it still matter to me?

Because losing is for losers! The mentality that says "Go for the ping pong balls!" is whacked. In sports, nothing good comes from losing. There is no savior in the NBA lottery draft. There hasn't been a savior there for ages. Go ahead ... name 'em.

Losing is like crack. Once you start it's hard to stop. You come to rely on it. It's all your subconscious thinks about. Young players come to know nothing else. They never know what winning is. They never learn how to achieve it.

Go ahead and laugh at me. I am just happy I'm not one you Phillies fans ... hoping against hope. Happy with ... we were close this year ... almost ... maybe next year. The Sixers are still the last Philly major pro sports team to win it all aren't they?

No comments: